MPS Group, Inc. is seeking to recruit two Environmental Technicians for the General Motors Technical Center in Warren, Michigan to provide environmental compliance and hazardous waste management services to the Tech Center by segregating, packaging and moving solid waste, hazardous waste, and recyclable materials to storage. Prepare materials for off-site shipment in accordance with RCRA, DOT, and MDEQ regulations. Safely conduct duties to eliminate potential for injuries from equipment and chemicals.
- Inspect and swap out all satellite waste containers as needed
- Consolidate contents of day cans/kick cans from various buildings into appropriately labeled drums once per day, M-F excluding holidays
- Relocate medical waste to Site Ops cabinet as needed
- Place recycle stations at assigned locations
- Swap out full kitchen grease bins and food scrap bins
- Comply with, maintain, prepare (if needed) and suggest updates on all applicable Task Instruction Sheets and Pre Task Plans
- Perform and document daily vehicle and hi lo inspection prior to use.
- Operate all vehicles in accordance with site speed limits and safety regulations
- Let Environmental Supervisor or RM staff know if PPE, containers, and/or spill equipment needs to be ordered
- Pick up pallets, recyclables, universal, hazardous and non-hazardous waste throughout the campus and deliver to B211 Environmental Operations or assigned area.
- Service site’s 90 day Accumulation Rooms daily
- Perform inspections of waste storage areas and emergency equipment, taking corrective action to eliminate deficiencies identified during the inspection
- Check containers for leaks; clean up any leaking material, over-pack container, and properly dispose of used absorbents
- Ensure containers have TC number identifying building of origin; add TC numbers if required
- Load all drums onto truck and deliver to B211
- Keep buildings well stocked with labels, pails, cubic yard boxes, and drums
- Straighten up 90 day rooms
- Process non-hazardous solids into Bulk Non Hazardous Waste box located in B211 courtyard
- Get SDS from RM staff if you’re unsure of an item
- Cover box when it is not being loaded
- Consolidate/pour up non-hazardous liquids such as used oil, antifreeze, and waste water
- Consolidate hazardous rags into cubic yard boxes.
- Keep track of all containers being consolidated into each box
- Use the oldest container date for the date on the cubic yard box
- Evaluate empty containers for reuse; spray paint out all markings before reusing
- Separate batteries by type and label/weigh each container. Tape all terminals on lithium batteries and all batteries 9V and above.
- Discard clearly marked Non PCB ballasts with Scrap Metal for recycling
- Load semi-trailers and roll-off boxes for shipment to landfill, recycling center, or other disposal site.
- Perform a minimum of twice weekly inspections (Wednesday and Friday) of the site’s oil booms, replace oil booms when needed.
- Cut and bag all oil contaminated booms for disposal in Bulk Non Haz box. Never leave contaminated booms on banks or in river.
- Respond to spill incidents by placing absorbents on liquids, sweeping or vacuuming solids and containerizing cleaned up materials for proper disposal.
- Coordinate and support IFS activities as needed
- Assist with sampling as needed by opening containers and/or escorting sampler to correct area
- Maintain necessary documentation of waste inventories, sample information, inspections and other activities as required.
- Operate fork truck to load/unload trucks, etc.
- Follow all plant- related safety guidelines.
- Follow verbal and written instructions, as directed by Manager.
- Perform other assigned duties, as required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks to most effectively service customer needs
- Able to lift and carry heavy objects
- Use dollies and pallet jacks to safely move heavy items
- Up to 50 hours per week are expected
- Able to be on call 24/7
- Able to be on feet for long period of time.
- Climb stairs without difficulty.
- Able to pass basic medical exam.
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient for use of small hand tools, handling of small parts (ex: nuts/bolts) and working with hands at various positions (ex: overhead, front, low).
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma.
- Three years of work experience.
- Ability to operate vacuum truck
- Associate’s degree or equivalent certification in Environmental Sciences or Hazardous Material Management AND one year experience in hazardous waste management and/or wastewater monitoring activities; OR,
- Three years’ experience in hazardous waste management and/or wastewater monitoring activities; OR,
- Current driver’s license with Class B endorsement preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Please submit resumes to:
Relevant Work Experience:
At least two years experience.
Minimum Education Level:
2 Year DegreeApply Now